EGGLESS SPONGE CAKE
Eggless sponge cake is in my opinion a blank canvas.
Art on my Canvas
A sponge cake is the base for most pastries. I like a vanilla sponge cake because it kind of is a neutral flavor. Like I said, a blank canvas. Paint your imagination with frosting and flavours. I almost prefer the flavour of an eggless sponge cake over the one with egg (probably because egg has quite a dominating flavour). But I feel the one with egg turns out tad more fluffier. I toy around with both while baking.
The search for a perfect sponge cake seems to go on. I keep adding, subtracting, increasing, decreasing ingredients everytime I bake one. This recipe however has been, I quote my husband “One of the best sponge cakes I have made”. Along with a cup of steaming hot chocolate…. YUMMY…
Here’s the recipe for an
Eggless sponge cake
- 1 1/4 cup All-purpose flour (Maida)
- 1 cup Plain yogurt (Curd)
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 cup Cooking oil
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Sieve the all-purpose flour and set aside.
- Whisk the yogurt smooth and add sugar. Whip the two together until the sugar dissolves completely (you can feel no more crystals while whisking).
- Add baking powder, baking soda to the whipped yogurt and mix well.
- Set aside for about 5 mins and allow the mixture to rise.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Grease a cake pan and line it with a parchment paper. (easy to get the cake out later). Set aside.
- Add vanilla extract and cooking oil and mix. (The bubbles formed in the previous step will break. You cake won’t turn hard. Continue).
- Add the all-purpose flour in 2-3 batches and make sure the previous batch is folded in well into the yogurt mixture before adding the next one.
- Whisk until the batter is smooth and thick
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and pat it on the counter to break any air bubbles.
- Bake it for about 40 min or till a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 15 min.
- Invert the pan onto a plate. Remove the parchment paper.
- Slice it up and enjoy the warm cake with a cup of coffee……..