Instant poha (JUST ADD HOT WATER) is the perfect meal in a jar option to all the busy people out there who are looking for quick meal options but do not want to compromise on taste or health with the commercial products available.
Life is getting busier. My brother is getting hitched! Yay! Now, this does open up the Pandoras box of emotions for me. It makes me happy, sad, confused, and protective and many more things, all at the same time. But, I am not going to be talking about any of that since I am not paying to guys to play therapist 😛 Jokes aside, this news entails a trip home! The happiest news, right? 🙂
Since I intend to take a nice long vacation for myself, I am planning for things such that I do not leave you my readers or my sweet husband scouring for food/recipes! While making a list of few things that I can do to make things just a tad easier for Nachiket while I am away, I remembered this instant poha mom used to carry with her on long train journeys in India.
While there is no dearth of foods that please your Indian palate all over the country, there is sure a dearth of hygienic food in some places, especially if you were travelling by trains 10 years ago. Owing to this and mom’s numerous religious food fasts partaken, their 2-3 week-long trips were always marked with big bags filled with numerous such instant meals and snacks. Advantage kids: these bags always came back home filled with presents for us (lots of free space!) 🙂 Who’s complaining about it?
Now, I did not complain about it back then since bigger bags meant more gifts and I do not complain about it now because if not for those big bags and mom’s ideas, my morning rush would have never been taken care of! Instant Poha can be the perfect meal in ajar because:
- It gets done almost as instantly as any other cereal. You JUST ADD HOT WATER (Read my take section for using cold water) and let it rest.
- Unlike the commercially available cereal, this is not sugar laden. In fact, it is very nutritious and has good protein content too.
- Unlike regular cereal, this is very filling and can even replace lunch or any other meal (not only breakfast)
- No preservatives, home-made and you can control what exactly goes in!
- Travel-friendly of course (My story started with how my mom used it for travel)
There’s a little more information about Instant poha that you can read in the “My Take” section.
Here is the recipe for your meal in a jar,