METHI JEERA RICE/CUMIN FENUGREEK FLAVOURED RICE
When you are not really in a mood to cook yet want something fancy but do not want to dine out or take out (Only a woman could come up with so many conditions for a meal; Ain’t that right ladies?), Jeera rice alias Cumin rice is your perfect recipe! Turning this blessing in disguise even more flavourful, I have added some spices and herbs making this simple dish into gourmet food!
METHI JEERA RICE | Cumin and fenugreek flavoured rice
- 1 cup Basmati (long grain) Rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup onions chopped into juliennes (length wise)
- 2 green chilies slit
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh fenugreek (methi) leaves
- 2 pinches of Saffron (optional)
- 2 one inch cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- This dish can be cooked directly in a pressure cooker or a pot. Wash the rice thoroughly and soak it in water before you start your prepration.
- Add oil in the cooker over medium heat. Once hot, add the cinnamon and bay leaves and green chilies and cumin seeds
- Sauté for about a min until you can smell the aroma of the spices
- Add onion, cook for about 2 mins and add the chopped methi
- Discard the water used for soaking rice and add the soaked rice into the pan. Sauté for a min, add salt, a pinch of saffron, and water
- Cover the pressure cooker and wait for 2 whistles. Turn off heat and let the steam escape. If cooking in a pot, wait for the water to boil after adding it. Then cover and cook until all water is absorbed
- Either way, once the coking is done, add the leftover saffron. Close and let the saffron seep into the rice for about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with DAL TADKA
Basmati rice always absorbs water in the ratio of 1:2. Just adding exactly that much, no more, no less shall help you attain that perfect restaurant look!