PIZZA POPS – PIZZA ON A STICK!
Presenting “Pizza Pops” – the lovechild of Pizza and lollipops or Pizza on a stick! Pardon the “cheesy” magician way of introducing this recipe guys. It is just that I have always wanted to stand in front of a curtain and say “Ta-Da!”. Just a fantasy of mine if you will 😀
Speaking of magicians and wizards, I really wish I had a wand. Oh ya! I have a souvenir wand from the Wizarding world of Harry Potter but I am currently wishing for a wand that actually works… So, if you have one of those, I am not asking for it. Back to why I want a wand. As much as I love creating recipes, taking pictures and sharing them, I abhor the cleaning that it entails. Don’t get me wrong. I do not mean the cooking utensils. I mean the dishes I use to photograph, the entire set up including the background, putting the props back in place. I had absolutely no idea that making food look appetizing involved so much work. I always followed the, “I am hungry”, I want to eat motto in life! 😀 Not that I am going to stop sharing recipes, I just had to express it, you know?
This recipe is quite simple almost no cook I could say. All it involves is baking and the oven does that for you. I like this idea of having a pizza on a stick because it forces adults to limit their portion and encourages kids to eat more – PURRFECT! Wouldn’t you say?
Instead of using marinara sauce in the recipe, you could use some pureed tomatoes and sprinkle on some garlic salt and Italian seasoning. This will replicate the taste of marinara without the guilt of using store bought I-do-not-know-what-is-in-it marinara sauce.
You can also make them ahead and freeze them for an upcoming party or just a rainy-day snack. Please check for instructions in the “My Take” section.
Here’s the recipe for:
PIZZA POPS – PIZZA ON A STICK!
- 2 Puffed Pastry Sheets
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese of choice
- 1/2 cup toppings of choice
- 12-15 lollipop sticks
- Egg wash (whisked egg – optional, does not alter taste)
- Thaw the puff pastry sheet by placing it on a counter-top for about 30 min or by placing it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Open up the sheet as per instructions and cut it up into 1.5 inch squares (I cut about 2-inch squares and thought they were a tad too big for the candy sticks).
- True to their name, they will puff up in size once baked. Please keep that in mind while cutting out the squares.
- As shown in the pictures, use 1 square at a time. Paste the stick onto it.
- While working with one pastry square, cover the rest of them up with a moist paper towel to keep them from drying.
- Please make sure the candy sticks you use are oven-safe. If not, first bake your pizza squares and then stick the lollipop stick into it. Although not a firm fix, it should work.
- Layer a spoonful of marinara sauce onto the pastry square.
- Top it with cheese and toppings of your choice.
- Place another pastry square on top of the first one from step.
- Press the sides lightly using your hand and seal it using a fork (as shown in the pictures).
- Brush egg wash (whisked egg) onto the pastry squares to make them extra golden.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 400°F for about 15-18 min or until the tops turn golden.
Spinach or veggie toppings or pepperoni, these pizza pops can be made to suit your taste.
Replace the marinara with Alfredo sauce, and you've got Alfredo pizza pops.
Freeze the pizza pops for later use. Before brushing with egg wash, place the pizza pastry pops in a single row in the freezer. After about an hour, place all of them in a bag and seal them. You might have to bake for longer if using directly from the freezer.