QUINOA CRUSTED TOFU
This recipe for Quinoa crusted Tofu is dedicated to you. Yes, to you (Why?!) Read on.
There are two kinds of people:
a) Health freaks
b) Those who have resolved to be health freaks this year
If you clicked on this title, then you surely belong to one of the two categories. Right? 🙂 So, yes, this recipe for quinoa crusted tofu is dedicated to you.
I must tell you the truth. It has taken me a while to get onto the quinoa bandwagon. It is too crunchy for my taste. How can something that crunchy be eaten as a meal in itself?! But, I keep hearing about the wondrous quinoa. So, I finally wrapped my head around the taste and I am taking baby steps to inculcate it in my diet.
Now, this dish is a new take altogether; on both tofu and quinoa. Soft tofu (to the extent that some find it mushy) crusted with crunchy quinoa baked to a golden perfection.
Don’t like quinoa?! What?! Why? Who said so? 😛 My reaction after eating…
Quinoa Crusted Tofu
- 6 Oz/ 150 g Extra Firm Tofu
- 1/3 cup pre-cooked Quinoa
- 2 tbsp mustard sauce
- 3 tbsp hot sauce (chili sauce)
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (can be substituted with cream/almond milk/soy milk)
- Cut the tofu into cubes of desired size. (Check notes for tips on storing the unused tofu)
- Drain the tofu on some paper towels. Lightly press against the paper towels and let the tofu rest on the paper towels for about 10-15 min.
- Mix all the other ingredients together (except quinoa). Mix well. Check if any salt is required (which IMHO is not needed).
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Divide the sauce mixture in two. Using one half of the mixture, coat the tofu pieces well, roll them in the pre-cooked quinoa and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment/foil.
- Bake the tofu for about 20 min or until the top of the tofu turns golden.
- I do not mind an extra browning of my quinoa. To achieve that, I turned the oven to broil just for about 2-4 min before taking the tray out of the oven.
- Take the tofu onto a serving tray and drizzle on top the remaining sauce mixture (or serve the remaining sauce mixture in a separate dipping bowl).
To cook quinoa, add quinoa & double the water into a pan and cook on medium heat for 10-12 min or until the water is all absorbed. Add a pinch of salt to season the quinoa while cooking. Fluff it up with a fork once done.
Place the unused tofu from package in an airtight container. Fill water till the tofu gets submerged in it. Refrigerate. Change the water every 2/3 days. Tofu will not get slimy and remain as fresh as when opened from the package for about 10 days.